…it’s always good to take a look back. It’s like crossing a street except temporally instead of spatially. Look both ways otherwise you might get splattered across the space time continuum by several tons of speeding karma. Or maybe just a car. Sometimes things just happen for no good reason. It’s up to us to assign a meaning to make it a “worthwhile” experience.
2011 proved to be an interesting year. Have you noticed how many people have talked about what a hard year 2011 was? I’m not surprised by all the news exclaiming how brutal a year 2011 was because the news media is terribly inbred. One person says it’s a hard year and next thing you know every news station is trying to top the others with the most depressing stories of how hard the year was. The Year of Wild Weather! The Year Mother Nature Turned Against Us! The Deadliest Storm Season Ever! Apocalyptic! Armageddontastic! All the floods, droughts, tornadoes, and wildfires seemed to be a big thing in the year end wrap up in the news, I noticed. Now maybe people watched the news a lot and took it way too seriously (always a bad idea if you want to maintain any shred of optimism). Maybe it was a trickle-down effect where enough people had shitty days that they passed it around like a particularly bad virus. “Good morning!” cheerily exclaims the uninfected. “How are you doing this fine day?” “I hate the world and especially you for bothering me with your insipid cheerfulness. I want to crush your soul so just you’re as miserable as me,” growls the virulent. It takes a toll on a heart after a while.
It was a rough year, but shit can become top quality fertilizer if handled correctly. See there’s that optimism I mentioned before. Here’s to 2012. I’ll be doing my best to turn the shit of 2011 into some sweet smelling flowers.
No comments:
Post a Comment